Friday, September 5, 2014

Star Wars Jabba the Hutt's Throne Room Diorama

This is my first Star Wars Diorama, Jabba the Hutt's Palace.  This is a vintage model kit from the early 1980's, and as you can tell the miniatures are a bit cartoonish and comical.  The poses are a bit dated...about 90% of them have their hands on their hips!  But I think this adds to the appeal of these old kits.

The kit was easy enough to build.  The characters were snap together, and most of them were a single piece.  No small bits to fiddle with.  Every one of them stands on their own little base.  Assembly of the Throne Room was very simple and straightforward.  It didn't take long to build.  The base is a light and somewhat flimsy vacuum formed piece of plastic, but adding the walls makes it much more sturdy.

I found reference pictures from the internet to find accurate colors for the figures' paint schemes.  Every one of these guys has a name and was part of the movie, no generic aliens here.  So I did my best to be accurate when it came to getting them painted.

I loved this project and I really do like the diorama, although it could use an extra dozen figures to bulk it out a bit, and maybe a few more guards.  But all in all, this was an enjoyable and easy project to do.








No comments:

Post a Comment